Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hassan's Book of 2010

As 2010 comes to an end, I find myself reflecting on the seventy two books that I have read... through twenty two thousand, seven hundred and sixteen (22,716) pages.  The longest book was Shantaram (936 pages) and the shortest was Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (64 pages).  My most productive month was April (9 books), and my least was May (1 book).

I have encountered three books unworthy of inclusion in my list (that I just could not finish),
Two books that were quite simply “Not Good,”
Nine books that were just “Meh,”
Twenty eight books that I considered as “Good,”
Twenty seven books that were “Very Good,” and
Six books that I would recommend as REQUIRED READING:
·         Born to Run
·         Honeymoon in Purdah
·         Zeitoun
·         Iran Awakening
·         Three Day Road
·         Bel Canto

Born to Run, Iran Awakening, and Zeitoun although great reads are clearly not Hassan’s Book of 2010.  For much of the year, I have reflected upon Honeymoon in Purdah; but now, as I approach the end of the year, I find myself wanting to select a book of fiction.

And so, the Hassan Book of 2010 is Three Day Road.  The combination of exposing us to a history that is often forgotten, coupled with strong characters is what earned the selection.  Please let me know what you think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment