Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011-02 - Run, by Ann Patchett

02 - Run, by Ann Patchett, 295 pages, Harper Perennial, 2007
WHY I PICKED IT: I'm working my way through everything Ann Patchett has written
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days.
RATING: Very Good.

I love how Ann Patchett creates these warm characters.  Even the ones who define themselves as something else have an inner warmth - a tie to their family that is quite real.  Another thing she does really well is tell you the future.  As an event is happening, Ann tells the reader how those experiencing the event will remember it; and how it's different from the reality. Unfortunately, for all the work she put into making the book genuine in it's representation about Boston, makes generic references to Africa that are obviously false to anybody who has lived or worked there (as her character Sullivan supposedly has).

In this review, I have barely scratched the story... that of two African American boys, adopted into an Irish Catholic family... and a key 24-hour period of their lives.  I really enjoyed this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment