Friday, January 14, 2011

2011-04 - The Magician's Assistant, by Ann Patchett

04 - The Magician's Assistant, by Ann Patchett, 357 pages, Harcourt, 1997
WHY I PICKED IT: Because I'm reading everything by Ann Patchett
ELAPSED TIME: 2 days.
RATING:Very Good

I have read four works of fiction by this beautiful author.  In each instance, the characters have depth and and the story draws you into them in a way that is warm and safe.  This one is a sad love story; with two very distinct stories: That of Sabine and Parsifal (the Magician) who she loved since she was 19, and his (gay) partner Phan (who, truth be told, has died before the story even started).  The second story is that of Sabine and her integration into Parsifal's family as his widow.

I think this might be my second favourite story by Ann Patchett... and possibly only because I read Bel Canto first.

No comments:

Post a Comment