Sunday, January 9, 2011

2011-03 - Starter for Ten, by David Nichols

03 - Starter for Ten, by David Nichols, 338 pages, Villard Books, 2003
WHY I PICKED IT: Because I really enjoyed One Day by David Nichols and wanted to try something else by him
ELAPSED TIME: 2 days.
RATING: Meh.

This story was quite underwhelming.  Nichols writes flawed characters so very well.  Characters who are uncomfortable in their own skin, and who are figuring themselves out.  But whereas Emma and Dexter are fundamentally likable - characters who I missed once they were gone from my lives (as promised by my friend Ling Sian) - Brian (the supposedly lovable loser) and Alice (the girl of his dreams) are ... well slightly too flawed.  Brian just doesn't do enough to redeem himself to the reader, to build empathy for his predicaments (real and imagined).

No comments:

Post a Comment