Wednesday, November 27, 2013

2013-46 - Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell

46 - Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell
WHY I PICKED IT: I enjoyed Outliers a lot and recommended by my cousin Aaseem
ELAPSED TIME: 4 days
RATING:Very Good

Malcolm Gladwell is a fantastic storyteller.  Blink makes the argument that our subconscious sometimes makes better decisions than conscious analysis, and that there is a time and place for both.  I was quite heartened to learn that he leveraged Gary Klein's research - as I read Klein's book on decision theory a decade ago and found it to be very interesting (if not as well told)... and this is where Gladwell's ability to tell a story, and link it to an argument about how we process information and make decisions, comes into play.

I thought about summarizing the key points here, but without the examples and context, it would truly not do the book any justice.  If you like applied theory as it relates to human behaviour, this book is a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment