Saturday, November 16, 2013

2013-43 - The Birth House, by Ami McKay

43 - The Birth House, by Ami McKay
WHY I PICKED IT: Recommended by my friend Alexis
ELAPSED TIME: 5 days
RATING: Very Good

This is a lovely story.  Of Dora Rare.  The only girl with 5 brothers, raised in Nova Scotia.  She becomes a midwife, and grows up during The Great War.  This is a story of gender, of class, and ultimately of making (rather than finding) your place.

The story is lovely - interlacing traditional narrative, Dora's diary entries, newspaper clippings, and letters to and from Dora... The last of which included quotes by French novelist George Sand that I quite enjoyed:  "The World will know and understand me someday.  But if that day does not arrive, it does not greatly matter.  I shall have opened the way for other women."

All in all, a really warm book with characters that I let into my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment