Sunday, November 14, 2010

June 2010


28) Listening to Grasshoppers, by Arundhati Roy, 244 pages, Penguin Group, 2009
WHY I PICKED IT: It's Arundhati Roy!
ELAPSED TIME: 12 days
RATING: Good.

After a slow May, I think I might have more time to read in June... This book, read mostly on my flight to Delhi, lacked the passion of the rest of Arundhati's essays. Despite this, it's an eye-opening account of the politics within what bills itself as "The World's Largest Democracy." If you've never read Arundhati, I'd recommend other essays of hers (Come September and The End of Imagination are her best two). If you love Arundhati, like I do, it's not a bad read; just not as good as the rest of her work.

29) Beatrice and Virgil, by Yann Martel, 213 Pages, Alfred A. Knopf Canada, 2010
WHY I PICKED IT: It’s Yann Martel!
ELAPSED TIME: 2 days
RATING: Meh

The first time I read The Life of Pi, I quit a 1/3 of the way through... I just didn’t get it. But when I picked it up again, and struggled through it, I found a story with incredible depth and warmth; I found a story that would stay with me. I finished this book because of the reputation of Mr. Martel... but I just didn’t get it. For the events of the book, it was a long story with very little to say. I was disappointed. I will likely forget this story quickly.

30) The One-Week Job Project, by Sean Aiken, 300 pages, Penguin Group, 2010
WHY I PICKED IT: I typically like books about searching for the right job, and finding your passion.
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Meh

This is nowhere near as good as "What Should I Do With My Life," by Po Bronson. Sean's approach to looking for careers was haphazard and his experiences were somewhat shallow. I think he had a great experience, but doubt he truly learned enough about the jobs he did to find his real interests.

31) The Shepherd's Grand-Daughter, by Anne Laurel Carter, 221 pages, House of Anansi Press, 2008
WHY I PICKED IT: My Mom sent me a book recommendation from one of her friends
ELAPSED TIME: <1 day
RATING: Very Good

As books for teens and pre-teens go, this is up there... Almost as good as The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. A truish story of a Palestinian girl who loves her land, and is dealing with serious unfairness from the Israeli settlers squatting on her family's land. It's a heart-wrenching tale that would expose people to the other side of the Israel / Palestine conflict.

32) five point someone, by Chetan Bhagat, 267 pages, Rupa and Company, 2006
WHY I PICKED IT: I was in the bookstore in Mumbai, and this book was cheap and seemed popular
ELAPSED TIME: <1 day
RATING: Meh

As books in the guy-lit genre go, this book is remarkably mediocre. I can't believe Bhagat is that popular. Nich Hornby, Mike Gayle, or Jonathan Tropper he ain't...

33) A Cruel Paradise, by Leanne Olson, 250 pages, Insomniac Press, 1999
WHY I PICKED IT: I met Leanne and Rink through MSF in 2005/6, and wanted to read her book since then
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Good

This is a great tale of adventure and purpose. If you want to work in the humanitarian field, I would highly recommend it. Leanne writes about the highs and lows of field work, and the price workers pay to do it, with remarkable honesty. Having said that, it's not as compelling a read as Maskalyk's Six Months in Sudan, probably because she covers her entire career rather than just one stop on the path.

34) And Thereby Hangs a Tale, by Jeffrey Archer, 290 pages, Pan Books, 2010
WHY I PICKED IT: I read everything by Jeffrey Archer
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Good

I really enjoy the lighthearted tales told by Archer. Always with simple plot twists (albeit some of which you see coming a mile away). Just good lighthearted entertainment :)

35) Audition, by Ryu Murakami, 190 pages, W. W. Norton, 1997
WHY I PICKED IT: Looking for something at the airport. And I like Haruki Murakami (no relation).
ELAPSED TIME: < 1 day
RATING: Good

For the first 90% of the book, I would have rated it a meh... an interesting character development exercise, but it wasn't going anywhere. The last 2 chapters you see where he was taking it. Shocking. Kind of out there. But certainly entertaining. Wonder if this plot will stick with me, or will blend into just another book I read...

No comments:

Post a Comment