Sunday, November 14, 2010

February 2010


9) The Thompson Gunner, by Nick Earls, 290 pages, Penguin Books, 2006
WHY I PICKED IT UP: I liked the first two books I read by Nick Earls
ELAPSED TIME: 1 Day
RATING: Good

It's a quick read... and unlike the other two books by Earls' that I have read. Still angst, but not lighthearted as Meg works through her issues from a recent breakup and how that was inadvertently caused by having lived through the troubles in Northern Ireland in the 80s (as a child). I enjoyed it, but I don't know if I'd recommend it (make sense?). Expect to see more Nick Earls on my list this year.

10) Pole-to-Pole, by Michael Palin, 298 pages, BBC Books, 1992
WHY I PICKED IT UP: Emily Rondel recommended it; and it's travel adventure
ELAPSED TIME: 18 days
RATING: Meh

All hope for reading 100 books in 2010 got blown out by this book... I couldn't motivate myself to pick it up; but didn't want to quit on it either. Amazing places visited, a great premise, respectful of the people in the places he visited, appreciative of the help of the people he encounters and his team... all the ingredients except I didn't relate to his voice as a writer.

11) No Angel, by Jay Dobyns, 320 pages, Three Rivers Press, 2009
WHY I PICKED IT UP: Just coz. Looked like an interesting read
ELAPSED TIME: 1 day
RATING: Meh

This book was not very good. Even when Dobyn's criticizes himself for becoming too much like the Angels, it's clear he thinks pretty highly of himself. Can't believe they would spend that much effort (and money) trying to catch 2-bit criminals.

No comments:

Post a Comment