Monday, February 24, 2014

2014-05 - Illusion Dweller, by Stimson Bullitt

5 - Illusion Dweller, by Stimson Bullitt
WHY I PICKED IT: Alia thought it would be a good read for me, as I am really getting into climbing.
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Not Good



This book is a collection of thoughts and experiences by and of Stim.  Early on, he writes about how mountaineering and climbing are his way of proving his manliness (to himself?), and then seemingly uses much of the book to list his accomplishments in short paragraphs, leading me to think: “Yes, I get it, you’re manly!”  Not an enjoyable read.

His chapter on the personality of the mountaineer is poorly written – simply his thoughts on their physique, mind, and so forth.  Not really a compelling read – for a budding climber, or likely anybody.

He does make a great points about risk:  A recreational climber is more likely to take unnecessary risks because they are more likely to view the experience as a one-off, less willing to return and try another day, and therefore more willing to push themselves beyond where they should.

All in all, I would not recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment