Monday, June 20, 2011

2011-40 - Microserfs, by Douglas Coupland

40 - Microserfs, by Douglas Coupland, 371 pages, Harper Perennial, 1995
WHY I PICKED IT: Re-read one of my favourite books
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Required Reading

As part of my library purge, I will be re-reading a lot of my favourite books this year.  This is the book that got me into Douglas Coupland, and this remains one of my favourite books.

This is a coming of age story of a group of late bloomers... as told through the journal of Dan, a 20-something ex-Microsoft, current-start-up employee, in the middle of the 90's internet bubble.  As Dan and his friends shed the no-life work focused geek culture of Microsoft and adapt to the culture of Silicon Valley, they consider the influence of technology on society and how they relate to one another.

This story is humourous, quirky, and has enough in there to make you think.  If you've never read Coupland, I highly recommend this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment