Saturday, February 12, 2011

2011-11 - I am the Messenger, by Markus Zusak

11 - I am the Messenger, by Markus Zusak, 357 Pages, Alfred A. Knopf, 2002
WHY I PICKED IT: I really enjoyed Zusak's Book Thief...
ELAPSED TIME: 2 days
RATING: Very Good!

Just as I started lamenting about the shortage of truly enjoyable books, I found this... fantastic story of a mediocre, average kid (Ed Kennedy)... clearly not living up to his potential... so much so that his own mother hates him, for being too much like his father - all potential and dreams, but too little action.

But this isn't the story of someone staying in that place.  It's the story of how Ed is thrust into being a messenger (of hope), guided by someone unseen.  To help the people he's being directed to... to show them what they have been missing.

There are a few great lines in the book, this one I wrote down to remember: "If I'm ever going to be okay, I'll have to earn it."  Simple, and yet offers untold depth.

If you enjoyed The Book Thief, or appreciate excellent youth fiction, I highly recommend this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment