Thursday, February 10, 2011

2011-10 - The Patron Saint of Liars, by Ann Patchett

10 - The Patron Saint of Liars, by Ann Patchett, 336 Pages, Harper Perennial, 1992
WHY I PICKED IT: It was written by Ann Patchett
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Meh

Hmm.  This book is possibly my least favourite of Ann Patchett's books... not because I'm overdosing on her style (although I am), but because the warmth in these characters is lacking.  This is a story told from three people's perspective:
- Rose, a woman who leaves her husband when she's pregnant to have her baby at a home for unwed mothers (the first 1/3 of the book).
- Son, an older man who is the home's handyman, who marries her (although she's still married), and raises her daughter like his own (the second 1/3 of the book).
- Cecilia - the daughter (the final 1/3 of the book).

These characters are all troubled souls, but Rose is damaged in a way that defies explanation - and as such, the book ends, and I feel vaguely dis-satisfied.

I wouldn't recommend this book, unless you're a serious Ann Patchett fan...

No comments:

Post a Comment