Monday, December 2, 2013

2013-48 - Band Aid for a Broken Leg, by Damien Brown

48 - Band Aid for a Broken Leg, by Damien Brown
WHY I PICKED IT: It's about an MSF Doc
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Very Good

Damien Brown is an Aussie doc who decides to volunteer for a year.  Starts in Thailand, and then joins MSF and goes to Angola.  The year up, he returns to his Western Hospital for (I'm guessing is) less than a year, before returning to the field: Mozambique, Somalia, and Sudan.  This is the story of the tremendous highs, the low lows, and the challenges that I see many of my friends experiencing.

It's well written - bringing the reader up to date on the context, without taking away from the experience.
- I loved how the Angolan Staff would sleep through their monthly reports, but listen intently, take notes and ask questions about MSF missions elsewhere, with compassion and engagement.
- I really appreciated how Damien wished that he could have stronger relationships with his National Staff, but recognized that the wealth and power imbalance would always make him an outsider.
- I appreciated how he asks tough questions about the value of Humanitarian Relief efforts, but gives credit to MSF for asking the same questions.

 I would recommend this book to anybody considering joining MSF as a field worker.  The stresses and experiences are well articulated and insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment