Wednesday, February 13, 2013

2013-04 - The Hundred-Foot Journey, by Richard C. Morais

04 - The Hundred-Foot Journey, by Richard C. Morais
WHY I PICKED IT: Found it in a book store
ELAPSED TIME: 3 days
RATING: Very Good


This is a lovely tale of an Indian boy whose family emigrates (in the shadow of a tragedy) to India... and who rises to the level of a Michelin Rated Chef.  If you enjoy food or descriptive writing, this book does a fantastic job of describing the dishes that the chefs make!

The story raises interesting questions of what is haute cuisine, and what is art.  The struggle of getting to the top of one's field, and the question of why one should do so.  I remember speaking with my yoga instructor a few years ago (Hi Paisley), who said that she was struggling with seeking to achieve a level of certification as an instructor, and the balance of fulfilling the criteria in an honest manner (not just ticking a box).  If the purpose of a restaurant is to serve great food, should it matter whether you get three stars from the Michelin food critics?

At another time in my life, this book may be required reading, but I don't know that I took the main character into my heart, and so I give the book a rating of "Very Good"

1 comment:

  1. You know I love food! So, this sounds like a great book to read. Thanks H

    ReplyDelete