Sunday, June 17, 2012

2012-21 - Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins

21 - Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins, 400 pages, Scholastic Press, 2009
WHY I PICKED IT: Wanted to finish the trilogy.

ELAPSED TIME: 2 days
RATING: Good

I remember an interview with George Lucas a long time ago, stating that the (original) Star Wars Trilogy was really a simple three act play: in Episode 4, he introduced the characters; in Episode 5, he put them into a tough spot; and in Episode 6, he got them out of it and wrapped up the tale.  The Hunger Games seems to follow the same model, but with an ending that is less satisfying.  Perhaps that was the intent, to show that the effects of war are not satisfying.  That some outcomes have unintended far-reaching effects.  That good people lose their lives.  That happiness is relative.
To be honest, I’m not sure I know how I feel about this book.  It’s a fairly easy read, and somewhat gripping… but not in a way that I enjoyed.  Truly, for portions of the book, I just wanted it to be over already.  If I were to recommend, I’d suggest a reader stop after book one… but if that reader is anything like me, I doubt they would be able to follow that suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment