Friday, December 30, 2011

2011-55 - My Other Life, by Paul Theroux

55 - My Other Life, by Paul Theroux, 456 pages, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1996
WHY I PICKED IT:  Recommended by my friend Tony
ELAPSED TIME: 4 days
RATING: Very Good

This is the (admittedly fake) autobiography of Paul Theroux... this tale follows the 35 years of Paul's life, from 15 to 50.  Rather than telling us just what's going on, he tells the story through the major influences in his life at different stages, his uncle, his boss, his benefactor, his best friend, etc.  It's a great read (if not a bit long in the middle), but a bit too melancholic for my tastes.

Minor spoiler alert (consider not reading): If I were going to fabricate my autobiography, I'd make it just a bit more upbeat at the end... rather than conveying all kinds of contentment in the middle and discontent at the end, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment