Thursday, March 31, 2011

2011-22 - What Now, by Ann Patchett

22 - What Now, by Ann Patchett, 97 pages, Harper Collins, 2008
WHY I PICKED IT: The last of Ann Patchett's books.  I've read everything else
ELAPSED TIME: <1 Day
RATING: Good

 This book was based on her convocation address at her alma mater, Sarah Lawrence.  Ann's trademark style is noticeable throughout, and she does a good job of sharing the path that took her to where she is.  I was underwhelmed by her extolling the virtues on being a follower;  although it's true that most people will not be the team captain, class president, general, or CEO, I think people need to be taught to lead within their own space and to challenge the status quo.

Conversely, I really liked some of her messages:
a) The lesson that we learn as a child, to not talk to strangers, is one that puts barriers in place between adults... and we need to try to overcome those.
b) Wisdom comes in chips rather than in blocks, so gather up the chips and build up the blocks throughout your life.
c) Stillness, silence, and studied concentration are valuable and eroded by iPods, cell phones and the internet.
d) Make some plans, and change them.
e) Identify your heart's purest desire and don't change that for anything.

Ultimately, this book is just a feel good, light-on-the-brain diversion from reading that entertains me, challenges me, and exposes me to new thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment