Monday, December 13, 2010

2010-70 - Through Black Spruce, by Joseph Boyden, 407 pages, Penquin Canada, 2008

70 - Through Black Spruce, by Joseph Boyden, 407 pages, Penquin Canada, 2008
WHY I PICKED IT: I really enjoyed Three Day Road, and wanted to read more by Boyden
ELAPSED TIME: 2 days.
RATING: Very Good.


Boyden is well on his way to becoming one of my favourite contemporary authors.  This story, written because Boyden missed his characters from Three Day Road (see Book # 64), tells the story of Xavier Bird’s son and grand neice.  Similar to his first book, this story weaves the uncle and neice’s perspectives into a compelling narrative.  Knowing that he is working on a third book, to complete a trilogy, is exciting for me.

There are two great lines in the book, that I was compelled to write down... I share them with you without comment:
1) Experience is the most difficult of teachers, because it gives the exam first and the lessons second
2) there are no heroes in the world.  Not really.  Just men and women who become old and tired and lose the strength to fight for what they love any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment